Tuesday, March 24, 2009


I saw "Dancer in the Dark" a few weeks ago. Honestly speaking, this is my second film by 'Lars von Trier'. Before this I enjoyed his "Breaking the Waves" a few months ago. Both the movies are so enigmatically brilliant, I was haunted by them long after I finished watching them. Talking about the recent one, "Dancer in the Dark", I was amazed, awestruck and disturbed. 


"Dancer in the Dark" is a movie about a woman who considers her entire life as a musical and she loves to be into it. It's not a musical movie rather it has strict reality- reality so pathetic that it hurts. The central character was facing a gradual blindness and she knew it. She rehearses for a local musical; she works in a factory where she couldn't cope with all the machineries for she has a heart of an artist. She has a kid and a lover who is so devoted that never he asked her out..he waits before the factory for her and when she comes out, he politely asked if he could take her home and she declines every time.....I don't want to ruin the plot but to remember this as one of the most unique humane movie and most disturbing musical I have ever seen. 

Another astonishing thing is, the director showed the unbelievable charisma of working with the style of "hand held camera" technique. The screen moving along with the emotions, the close ups are so extremely meaningful that I felt I was a third person witnessing everything happening to the characters. A movie which melt my heart with stark reality and agony.  





No comments:

Post a Comment